Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Holding Pattern




Not much is going on in my little world. I am trying to stay positive and as stress free as possible. So far I have had great success with my lifestyle overhaul (I lost 3 pounds this week). Low carb diets really, REALLY suck; so does exercising for 30 minutes everyday. Thirty minutes doesn't seem like a long time, but I guess when you're out of shape like me it seems like an eternity. I get SO bored when I exercise; that's why I ALWAYS wind up quitting. Only this time failure is not an option; I can't quit. I read that 70% of women diagnosed with PCOS develop Type II diabetes within 10 years. I'm going to ask the RE about this one because that seems REALLY high, but nonetheless it scared the S*&T out of me. The risks of heart attack and stroke are also higher in women with PCOS. So, I pretty much have to stick with this, and make it work! Sometimes, it seems so daunting.
There is some good news that I will share with you now that we are intimate friends: both my pap smear and my cholesterol tests came back normal. Those are two less things to worry about.
Lastly, in my little update we have my cycle day 3 blood work and glucose test scheduled for Friday morning, and then my HSG on Monday. The blood work will determine how out of whack my hormones are, and completely confirm PCOS. The glucose test...I am dreading this one! You have to get blood drawn, and then drink "glucola" (isn't that cute), sit around for two hours and have your blood drawn again. This will determine if I am insulin resistant; if so I get to take a lovely drug called metformin. Metformin's claim to fame it it's wonderful gastrointestinal side effects...SUPER!
I am dreading the HSG even more. I have heard that this little gem is very, very painful and I am a weenie! Sidebar: I'm not quite sure how I am actually going to deliver a baby! Apparently, they stick a catheter up your 'hoo and into the uterus, and inject dye. This dye should go through you uterus, fallopian tubes, and out into your pelvic cavity. Then you know that your uterus is A OKAY, and your tubes are clear! Let's keep fingers and toes crossed that this is true, and that I don't pass out. This test being normal means that we can use ovulatory drugs alone, or move onto IUI when we are ready. If the test is not normal then we have to get a new game plan.
















No comments: